Friday 22 June 2007

See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen


I saw this film once, Australian film, it must have been about 5 years ago, I thought it was funny. Really funny, fun performances, snappy dialogue "you'd know all about make-up, your wives must be geishas".

I just saw it tonight for the second time and from the very first scene I was in love. Muriel is magic, they're all magic. Practically every line that comes out of anyone's mouth is comedic gold "I noticed there was lipstick on it", every performance is pitch perfect, the soundtrack is gorgeous and you know what?....Five years down the line I can relate to Muriel more than 98% of movie characters out there...that might be sad to admit, but it's true...and it carries my enjoyment for this movie from one of comedic appreciation to one with a far more touching, melancholy tone.

You're not terrible Muriel, you're wonderful.

1 comment:

Amy said...

The admirability of Muriel is that everyone can relate to her. At some point in everyone's life, they felt they were the ugly one, the fat one, the useless one. And then they marry an African whilst being oblivious to the fact that the above-named African isn't black!

Great review, dahlink.